Saturday, October 3, 2009

It's Winter Blackmouth Time!

What a summer here in the Northwest! There were numerous days with above average temperatures, and even a few in to the 100-degree range. However, something has happened. It is early October and someone "hit the switch." The temperatures are dropping each day, trees and plants are beginning to show off their pretty reds, yellows and oranges, Mr. Rain has found his way home, and most of our ocean going chinook and coho are well into the rivers system to complete their life cycles.

This morning I found myself digging around the storage shed for winter's fishing attire and accessories: raingear- check, propane hearter- check, ear and hand warmers (hotties)- check, and my 30-year well-seasoned thermos- check. Are these items necesary? Not really. However, they certainly will make a 30-degree morning a whole lot more comfortable- especially the thermos.

There are a few coho still hanging around the South Sound, but it's October! More anglers are staying home, hunting, watching football or golf, and I'll be targeting these immature chinook salmon. I am betting I'll have the water to myself this month- like usual. Would you change you're mind if I mentioned you still had a 2-fish limit through October?


If you happen to make it out and see a white/gray 19-foot Livingston, stop by and say hello!


- The Captain